Hello. The name is Jessica. I like to tell stories and discuss them. This is a multi-fandom and personal blog, but it's mostly Supernatural - I'm a passionate Dean/Cas person - with hints of Hannibal, Elementary, Musicals, Welcome to Nightvale, Marvel/Loki and Other Things with sad, angsty people. Warning: blog contains feminism, paganism, fangirling, feels and Me. Also silly pictures of animals, mostly birds.
HELLO MY LOVELY CRANBERRIES!
I lurve you and I anticipate at least some of you are cooking today and tomorrow so I wanted to share the BEST CRANBERRY SAUCE RECIPE EVAR.
The great thing is that it’s easy.
1. Grab some cranberries, sugar, canned mandarin oranges (optional) and RED WINE.
You heard me, WINE. I prefer Zinfandel for this, but any full bodied red (Cabernet, Merlot maybe even a Malbec) should do.
1a. Pour your sweet self a glass and make sure the wine is functioning.
2. Follow the sauce directions on the bag of cranberries. If those get lost its easy: the ratio is 1 bag of berries: 1 cup of sugar: 1 cup of wine. You double or triple the recipe easily. I usually make a double batch with gives me about 3 pints of sauce.
3. Combine and stir over high heat and bring to a boil then reduce heat and let the deliciousness bubble and dimmer.
4. Drink more wine because it may take a while for the stuff to reach a boil. Repeat this step as necessary.
5. YOU MAY HEAR THE CRANBERRIES START TO EXPLODE/POP AFTER 5 minutes or so. DO NOT BE ALARMED THIS IS NORMAL.
6. It takes about 15 ish minutes for the sauce to thicken. I personally wait until all the berries have burst and are soft and the sauce is thick enough that if you run your finger over the back of a spoon coated in sauce, the stripe stays.
7. Remove from heat. This is where I like to add a can of mandarin orange slices (drained). It balances out the tartness and looks really pretty.
8. Allow to cool, store and ENJOY!
This sauce holds up really well, though you should refrigerate after opening a jar (if you put it in jars).
9. MORE WINE!
And there it is lovelies. Happy thanksgiving!